Friday, March 28, 2008

Well, it's been the end of a really busy week for me. I've submitted 5 assignments this week, and I don't think I've had a decent nights rest yet. At least I had some fun fooling around with the Thousand Parsec source code and Python-Ogre. One of the devs suggested that for a good GSOC application, I should write a basic 3d client to accomplish the first two of my milestones. Well, I did do something like that. First, I ported the old pyogre client over, then I made it lose some of it's functionality. :) What I mean is, the starmap looks really empty, with only two objects: The Universe and the Milky Way. Heres hoping I can make it look more like the original this weekend. If so, at least I will have something to contribute even if I don't get the nod.

Mechanical process of porting:
  1. Change import statements to direct to python-ogre modules instead of pyogre.
  2. Fix the errors that crop up. For instance, pyogre uses a lot of attributes, whereas python-ogre provides set/get methods.
  3. New OIS system for input, no more ogre.EventProcessor
  4. CEGUI works about the same, just remember to use the set/get methods instead of direct attributes. It won't work and there won't be an error to tell you what went wrong.
  5. When things run, but don't look right... I'm still working on this.
In other news, tpclient-wx just had a new point release, with lots of UI improvements, such as a cleaner toolbar and more display options.

No comments: